Feb. 26th, 2017
The Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal is a huge edifice towering over its neighbourhood. I had seen it looming over Vieux-Montréal, but it was only when I tried to take a photo of the entire building that I realized its size. I had to back up to the far side of the Place d'Armes just for a single shot of the entire building in my viewfinder.
- Language Hat reports on the Wenzhounese of Italy.
- Language Log writes about the tones of Cantonese.
- Lawyers, Guns and Money writes about the costs of law school. (They are significant, and escalating hugely.)
- Marginal Revolution reports on the problems facing the Brazilian pension system, perhaps overgenerous for a relatively poor country facing rapid aging.
- Neuroskeptic reports on the latest re: the crisis of scientists not being able to replicate evidence, now even their own work being problematic.
- Personal Reflections considers the questions of how to preserve the dignity of people facing Alzheimer's.
- The Russian Demographics Blog notes a Financial Times article looking at the impact of aging on global real estate.
- Spacing Toronto talks about the campaign to name a school after Jean Earle Geeson, a teacher and activist who helped save Fort York.
- At Wave Without A Shore, C.J. Cherryh shares photos of her goldfish.
- Window on Eurasia notes growing instability in Daghestan, looks at the latest in Georgian historical memory, and shares an article arguing that Putin's actions have worsened Russia's reputation catastrophically.