- Crooked Timber links the near-criminal destruction of Grenfell Tower with Thatcherism's deregulations and catastrophes.
- The Dragon's Gaze notes that TRAPPIST-1e is slated to be among the first observational targets of the James Webb Space Telescope.
- Far Outliers shares Edith Durham's account of an exciting St. John's Day in Albania in 1908.
- Language Hat looks at a passage from Turgenev.
- What, the LRB wonders, will Emmanuel Macron do with his crushing victory after the parliamentary elections, too?
- Marginal Revolution wonders to what extent is Germany's support for Nord Stream consistent with Germany's concerns over NATO and Russia.
- Ed Jackson's Spacing Toronto article about the need to preserve queer public history in Toronto is a must-read.
- Torontoist's Alex Yerman notes the new activity of the Jewish left against a conservative establishment.
- Window on Eurasia suggests that modern Russia is repeating the Soviet Union's overmilitarization mistakes, only this time with fewer resources.